Today marks the sixth of anniversary of this blog. After six years and (counting this one) 507 posts, I thought it fitting to celebrate the day by going over the Top 25 most popular posts. This was determined by the number of views each post has had. Note: I have the settings arranged so that my own views are not counted. To be truthful, the takeaway was a tad surprising. A few things of note:
- Readership-wise, the blog's best days are behind it. None of the Top 25 posts are from after 2013.
- I have purposefully not included any of the Pics of the Week, mainly because they're done as kind of a joke. For the most part, this doesn't impact the list, except for a few early ones which, somehow, garnered a lot of views.
- Pop culture seems to help with readership. A good half of the Top 25 are about movies, music and TV shows.
- 2012 appears to have been the blog's zenith, as 8 of the top 10 entries are from that year.
With those observations out of the way, let's delve into the list! The post title, date of the post and number of views will be provided, along with a brief synopsis of what each post was about. Here we go:
1. The Return of Dallas - June 13, 2012 - 4,055 views
My write-up of when the TV show Dallas returned to the airwaves with brand new episodes.
2. Watching The Hours - May 24, 2012 - 1,842 views
On why I thought the movie The Hours will be considered a classic film in the future. This post was part of a blog-a-thon, wherein it likely got linked to and viewed several times, which I believe helped its numbers.
3. 31 Days of Horror Movies: Mr. Sardonicus - October 1, 2012 - 1,205 views
This is the first of five entries from the Top 25 that were part of my daily review of favorite horror films. This was for the month of October in 2012, in celebration of Halloween. I had the best of intentions when starting, but only made it through October 26th, as one of my depressive spells took over, and I broke-off from blogging for a bit.
4. 31 Days of Horror Movies: Dark Night of the Scarecrow - October 2, 2012 - 1,198 views
It may be a TV movie, but it's one of the best horror films out there.
5. They Lived Once - July 20, 2011 - 1,150 views
Where I remember the celebrities we've lost from HIV/AIDS.
6. Imported From Detroit - April 20, 2012 - 932 views
Talking about how it doesn't really matter if a car is from a foreign or domestic company.
7. Man on Olympics - July 30, 2012 - 917 views
I was shocked to see this so high on the list (or on the list at all). This was a playful post about the 2012 Olympic games, with a somewhat obscure premise (I was doing the post in the fashion of the two gay film critics from the old sketch show In Living Color).
8. Young & Old - July 11, 2012 - 789 views
A post I'd completely forgotten I'd written, so re-reading it was interesting, to say the least. I proffer the premise that old people tend to be more pessimistic than young people.
9. The Closing of Carmon's - June 26, 2011 - 742 views
I still miss this place.
10. "When the Ride Stops, It's Where It Started" - February 9, 2012 - 739 views
Another post I'd forgotten about, but which deals with whether or not the loss of a significant other is easier the older you are.
11. Bad Movies - March 24, 2013 - 691 views
Ah, this one was fun to write. I selected the worst films I'd ever seen. Good times.
12. The Lamentable Loss of Self-Actualization - January 14, 2013 - 584 views
One of the many, many postings I have done relating to depression and working through its dark labyrinth (though the title is, admittedly a tad ponderous). Anyhow, re-reading it comes as a nice antidote to how I've been feeling the past several days.
13. Back to Titanic - March 19, 2012 - 555 views
Nearing the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, I took an opportunity to explain why the movie meant so much to me.
14. On Why I Think Raleigh Becket Is Gay - July 25, 2013 - 554 views
I really liked the movie Pacific Rim, and it's lack of male and female leads bonding in either a romantic or sexual way left me wondering. That, and Charlie Hunnam is so cute that I was probably just hoping in vain.
15. 31 Days of Horror Movies: The Hand - October 15, 2012 - 514 views
This movie scarred me as a kid. Yes, scarred, not scared, though it did that, too.
16. 31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts - October 12, 2012 - 489 views
A rare case of the remake being better than the original.
17. With the Help of Others - August 15, 2011 - 467 views
One of my favorite posts, all about remembering how we don't get to where we are without the help of others.
18. A Little Less Love - February 18, 2013 - 408 views
A post about Downton Abbey makes my eyes roll now.
19. Suicide Box - September 8, 2011 - 399 views
One of my most personal posts, one that was painful to write, and had me crying while typing it. Glad to see it made the list.
20. Born This Way? - January 25. 2012 - 386 views
Nature vs. nurture.
21. My TV Dad - August 30, 2011 - 353 views
My tribute to Fred MacMurray and My Three Sons.
22. The Languid Dead - November 21, 2011 - 341 views
Wherein I complain that The Walking Dead is too slow. Ha! As if.
23. 31 Days of Horror Movies: 8MM - October 22, 2012 - 329 views
This movie was unsettling.
24. Diff'rent Strokes - July 29, 2011 - 318 views
A personal favorite, about the changes I've seen in society, and how I've adapted to them. Wish it were higher up on the list.
25. Top 10 Songs of 2011 - December 16, 2011 - 305 views
What it says on the tin.
And, there you have it. It was interesting for me to walk down memory lane with some of these posts. There are a few from 2015 and 2016 that are bubbling just below the surface that I wish had made the cut. And I still don't understand how a pic of Rupert Grint managed to garner 2,737 views.