Skip to main content

Memory Box



You have the side door open.

I see this while driving by. The busy intersection where your house sits on the corner lot. It used to be my grandmother's house. No doubt it's had several owners.

Seeing the open door, looking in to the kitchen, I am reminded of the days gone by when Gummy used to live there. That expansive, yet simple kitchen. We would sometimes sit and drink coffee or tea or soda in that kitchen, around the big table that could seat upwards of six people. We'd sit and chat, my grandmother, my mother and I. Sometimes others. Friends of the family. Spoons and cups clinking on the saucers.

Do you know that a grandmother cooked for her little grandson in that kitchen? She did. She would make his favorite food: macaroni & cheese. She'd try and make it as good as she could, because that is what all good grandmothers do. It would be full of shells covered in butter and lots of gooey cheese. And it was awesome, because it was tasty, and because it was made with love.

The living room was right off of the kitchen. That's where Gummy and I would eat the mac & cheese she'd made, talk, and watch TV. We would camp out there on overnight stays, on the pull-out sofa bed. One time I had us watch my favorite movie, Amadeus, and I think she liked it.

It was always a treat to head over to Gummy's house. Now it's your house. As noted earlier, it's had many owners. Each of them have created memories there, both good and bad. The ones I have of my grandmother were mostly good. I hope yours are, too.

You see what you did by having that side door open as I drove by the other night? Being able to see into that kitchen a bit, it brought back those memories like a rush of blood to the head. And what a rush.

So, please, take care of that house. Somewhere in that memory box are the traces of a wonderful older woman and her younger grandson, enjoying a time spent together that would never come again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't