Skip to main content

The Best 100 Songs of the Decade, 61-70


We're back with another installment of Matt's favorite songs of the 2010s! So, here they are, the next ten...


70. Revelation / Troye Sivan and Jonsi - 2018

From the movie Boy Erased (which Sivan also had a role in), this soft and slinky tune is light, but powerful. And it features well in a scene from the film.




69. Another Lonely Night / Adam Lambert - 2015

This is a fun track, despite the melancholy nature of the lyrics. I particularly like the odd little sound that occurs directly before the chorus kicks in.



68. Modern Woman / Tennis - 2017

Not terribly familiar with Tennis's body of work, but I quite like this gentle and heartbreaking song.



67. Skyfall / Adele - 2012

The best Bond movie in years also featured the best Bond song since Tina Turner's GoldenEye. Though I was never quite as into Adele's work for 007 as many others were, there's no denying it's a a quality song.



66. Mad World / Seal - 2016

Granted, this Tears For Fears tune has been covered to death, but I quite liked Seal's version from a few years ago. The best of the lot.




65. Silent Movie / Pokey LaFarge - 2017

Another one of Ashley's favorite musical artists, and who we saw in concert early last year, Pokey hails from Bloomington, Illinois but has made St. Louis, Missouri his home. I can, unfortunately, identify with the pessimism only display in this song.



64. Tonight / Saint Etienne - 2012

The first of three Saint Etienne songs to be included on the countdown, I quite like this jaunty little modern disco number, about the anticipation inherent upon getting ready for a night on the town. I've also seen them perform live, back in 2017. One of my favorite concerts!



63. Back and Forth / Giorgio Moroder feat. Kelis - 2015

A while back I wondered what some of the major synthpop artists had been up to in recent years, and that's how I happened upon our 63rd entry on the countdown. A dance floor stomper, I'm surprisingly touched by the line, "I'd like to try again with you," and the vocal inflection and music that goes along with it.



62. One of Us / Cher - 2018

I know, I know. This was my # 2 song from last year, so why is it relatively low on the end-of-the-decade list? Well, hey, it's still one of the Top 100. I also felt that 2018 was a somewhat pensive year for yours truly, and Cher's rendition of this song fit that. Make no mistake, I like this cover.



61. Mystery of Love / Sufjan Stevens - 2017

This was a new song crafted for the soundtrack of Call Me By Your Name (which I adored). It was nominated for an Academy Award. Truth be told, I prefer Stevens's other song from that release, Futile Devices, but that song was older, and it was the Doveman remix version that I liked. As much as I love the movie, this song is only # 61 on the decade-end list because I find it to be a little bit on-the-nose with its lyrics (it recounts emotions from the film with almost laser-like guidance). Still, it's pretty solid.




And that's that for this entry. I'm anxious to show you what's next!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't