Skip to main content

Top 10 Songs of the Decade (so far)



Some of you (let's be honest, probably none of you) may have noticed that my annual 'Top 10 Songs of the Year' posts have been absent. The last one I did was for 2021. The lack of a yearly reflection on my favorite songs has been down to a couple of factors: 1) last year was... distracting for me, for a variety of reasons, and it was difficult to concentrate enough to think about making a list, and 2) honestly, I haven't been all that jazzed about recent music -- at least, not enough to warrant a Top 10 list for each  year.
But, I still love music, and listen to it. A lot. So, the thought occurred that I could definitely comprise a list of ten favorite songs of the decade... so far, at least. We are in the fifth year of the 2020s, so there's definitely been enough time for several songs to tickle my fancy. In fact, it was a bit difficult to whittle things down to just ten tracks.

Here, then, are my Top 10 Favorite Songs of the 2020s, so far....


10. Blinding Lights, by The Weeknd

This one really reminds me of the pandemic. If memory serves correctly, it was released right at the beginning of 2020, and then the whole world shut down. I remember thinking the first time I heard it that the song was a banger, and that, in a different world -- a world where people were out and about and connected -- it would be great for clubs and parties. As it was, I listened to it a lot on long, solitary walks. That was pretty much what I did during the peak of the pandemic.




9. Nothing Left To Lose, by Everything But the Girl

EBTG reminds me so much of the '90s, when I was younger and getting into dance/electronic music, sharing that passion with friends, taking drives in my little red Nissan and listening to CDs, including tracks off their 1999 album Temperamental. Little did I know that would be their last album for over two decades. Returning in 2023 with Fuse, this was the lead single, and I quite liked it. A nice return to form for the band.




8. Lightning People, by Johnny Marr

Despite enjoying some Smiths songs, and being a fan of Electronic's first two albums, I've never gotten into Johnny Marr's solo stuff. Except for this track. I'm still not sure what it's about, but Lightning People is a great example of when I like a song more for the way that it sounds -- both the music, and how the vocals blend with it. I particularly like the "yeah yeah yeah" chorus, and how it is sometimes included and sometimes not. Good guitar work, as well. Just one of those tunes that I totally vibe with.




7. Lift Me Up, by Rihanna

Scott Bennett died suddenly in December 2022 and -- I've never mentioned this to anyone before -- this song makes me think of him. It was released the previous month, as a tie-in to the movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. It was born out of grief, as the star of the first Black Panther film, Chadwick Boseman, had passed away in 2020. This song played over the closing credits of Wakanda Forever. I was listening to it on regular rotation for a few weeks, and then Scott died.

He and I weren't what I would consider to be close, personal friends, but we were definitely political friends, supportive of each other's endeavors. He was a great human being, gone too soon. The lyrics shouldn't serve as a direct connotation to how I relate to Scott. They are much more intimate than what a couple of political friends would have shared. It's more the sentiment, and the sound. The way Rihanna's voice melds with the music, and then when the bass kicks in at one point, to underline the sadness of it all... I dunno, it just reminds me of Scott.




6. Heat Waves, by Glass Animals 

As you can tell by now, I'm big on the mood and feel of a song. I'm often about how it sounds. Such is the case with this track. I like how the bass kicks in. I like the way they distort the lyrics, "Road shimmer wigglin' the vision, Heat, heat waves, I'm swimmin' in a mirror." I can also relate to the lack of self-confidence displayed in the song. I just... like it.




5. As It Was, by Harry Styles 

I'll just say that I agree with Ashley about this song, when he once remarked: "Great song, great video."




4. All About You, by The Knocks featuring Foster the People 

As mentioned earlier, I sometimes associate certain songs with certain people. This is one of them. I first heard this track back in 2021, when we were getting to know our friends Ryan & Glynis. For that reason, it always makes me think of them. I love Mark Foster's unique voice, and the way he sings, "And before I knew iiiiiiiiit" is sublime.




3. Pond House, by Saint Etienne 

Earlier I mentioned how I vibe with certain songs. This is another example of that. One of the simpler tracks by British band Saint Etienne, I find it somewhat hypnotic, partially because of the way it loops vocals from Natalie Imbruglia's 2001 track Beauty on the Fire throughout. Oh, and I love the music video for this. Beautifully photographed by Alasdair McLellan, and overall rather sexy in a subtle sort of way.




2. Purple Zone, by Soft Cell & Pet Shop Boys

Those who know me know that my favorite music group is the Pet Shop Boys. When they teamed up with Soft Cell (of Tainted Love fame) last year, juicing up the track Purple Zone, I thought it was great. You've got a bunch of gay men singing to a rollicking dance beat about getting older. It makes this ageing gay man tap his feet and sing along with them. Nice video, too.




1. Maybe It's Today, by Jake Bugg

"I love you the most."





And, there we are. Maybe I'll update the list as the decade rolls on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't