Skip to main content

Worst Movies of 2016


I don't often make a worst movies of the year list, but this year has provided some real stinkers. Disappointments on many levels.

So, without further adieu, here are the ten movies (in alphabetical order) that would be best avoided from 2016....


Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice



From the title, which conveys a court case more than it does a superhero skirmish, to the convoluted plot and the least convincing "Is he really dead?" ending of all-time, to the lame way in which the two heroes resolve their conflict, this movie just stunk all around.



Blair Witch


The found footage phenomenon, pretty much founded by this movie's predecessor some 17 years ago, is played-out. Along with that, this isn't so much a sequel as it is a re-telling (hey, if folks are gonna knock Force Awakens for it, this movie has to qualify, too). And, look... I know that characters in horror movies make notoriously bad decisions, but the ones in this movie take the cake.


The Boy


I really thought I'd like this movie. Set in a secluded British mansion, with a strong performance by Lauren Cohan of the Walking Dead, I was willing to roll with some of the film's more mysterious elements. Unfortunately, the last act completely rips apart (pretty much literally) any shred of dignity the movie might have had.


Everybody Wants Some!!



Now, it's iffy that this movie makes the cut. It actually does what it sets out to do (I guess), which is really the hallmark of any (creatively) successful film. Alas, I will always feel duped by this movie, as the critics and reviews made it out to be so much more than what its trailers made it out to be. Alas, it was exactly what its trailers made it out to be, and that was a fairly mediocre horny college kids movie. We've seen this all before.


The Girl on the Train


You may be surprised to see this one on the list. This is mainly because I found the movie tedious and wondered what the point of it all was. Also, there's not really one likable character in the whole thing.


Independence Day: Resurgence


I'm such a fan of the original movie and. even though I'd heard some not-so-good things about this one, I went prepared, but open-minded. And, it sucked. I mean, there's parts of it that are kind of good, but for the most part it's a retread of the original, and a pale copy of it at that.


Knight of Cups


I don't even know where to begin with this one, folks.


Lights Out




Another horror movie makes the list. This one simply wasn't that engaging, and features a sacrifice by a character that -- I guess? -- was supposed to be emotional, but simply left my thinking, 'About time!'


Love & Friendship


A pastiche of Jane Austen novels, I found this movie to be jarring. Set a couple hundred years ago, the pacing and mannerisms are very modern day. The dialogue goes by at a fast clip, letting many of the "jokes" get lost in the shuffle. Oh, and none of the characters are all that likable.


Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping



Mockumentaries about musical groups (see: This is Spinal Tap) can be good, when all the right bits come together. Unfortunately, this wasn't an example of such an endeavor. Unfunny and not engaging, this movie may have been the worst of the year.


And, there you have it. You could give all of the aforementioned films a miss, and not miss a beat. See Swiss Army Man, Moonlight or Hell or High Water, instead.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...