Skip to main content

Top 10 Songs of 2015


To be perfectly honest, 2015 wasn't a year that particularly moved me, musically-speaking. And that's important to note, as the prime reason I listen to and enjoy music is to be moved. The emotional catharsis or introspection that results from a great song or bit of music is unlike anything else.

I just wanted to get that out of the way, before providing my annual rundown of top tracks from the past year. I don't wish to diminish these songs by any means, only to note that not all Top 10 lists are made of the same stuff.

And so....


#10. Dissolve, by Absofacto

Hailing from Michigan, this is an artist I just discovered last year, with his most recent song titled Dissolve. Quite mellow and enjoyable.



#9. King, by Years & Years

2015 was also the year that I discovered synthpop group Years & Years. They've got a few good songs, and King is my favorite of the lot.



#8. Ong Ong, by Blur

Their first studio album in twelve years saw Blur with a fairly good return-to-form. While their videos left something to be desired, their songs were pretty solid. This is the best.



#7. Another Lonely Night, by Adam Lambert

I'm not a big fan of American Idol, but will admit it has produced a few talented artists. Adam Lambert is one of them, and his 2015 album, The Original High, was a veritable tour de force. So many good songs to choose from, but Another Lonely Night edges the others out.



#6. WTF (Where They From), by Missy Elliott

100% dope. Missy is back, yo.




#5. Stronger, by Arty (featuring Ray Dalton)

Having never heard of Arty or Ray Dalton before this song, I was surprised at the impact it had on me. Solid gold emotional dance.



#4. High by the Beach, by Lana Del Rey

Not sure I'll ever get tired of Lana's dispassionate, f*ck-you-I-don't-care songs. This one is great. Lusciously arranged.



#3. I Can Change, by Brandon Flowers

I've mentioned before on this blog that I'm a sucker for a song with pathetic lyrics. I Can Change is such a track. Willing to be whatever the person he loves wants, this song is both sad and beautiful.



#2. When I Was a Boy, By ELO

This one almost made it to #1. A touching, bittersweet song from Jeff Lynne reflecting on the stages of growing up, and the influence of music on his life. Love it.



#1. Tutti Frutti, by New Order

New Order was back with a vengeance in 2015. Their Music Complete album was a fun listen, from start to finish, and this particular track was my favorite. A great little ditty to bop along to.




And there you have it, my Top 10 favorite tracks of 2015!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...