Skip to main content

Say a Little Prayer


Corey Pope died last week.

On the one hand, the death of a fellow human being is a rather unremarkable event. People die all the time. But I happened to know Corey. I knew him during a time of life when we were both young(er), free spirits and when the world was new. At least, that's how I look back at the mid-to-late '90s through rose-colored tints. In truth, it was often a miserable, lonely time for me but, as with most things, distance has put a shine on the experience.

Corey and I weren't close. He was a regular at Chester Street Bar in midtown Champaign, He also, sometimes, worked there, as did I from 1998-99. I never knew quite what to make of Corey. It seemed that he almost always had an impish grin. It was both charming and unsettling. He liked to drink, and to serve drinks. He liked a lot of the dance music that was played at the club. He was formerly a medic. There was, as is the case with many people, more to him than met the eye.

Rakish, thin, with chocolate-colored skin, Corey was capable of evoking various emotions, from leaving me speechless, to making feel me grateful, to making me wish he'd go away or at least let-up from teasing me. It ran the gamut.

I'll never forget the occasion when we were chatting, and he casually mentioned that he went tanning. I laughed at first, until it became clear that he was serious. Then there was the time, on my twenty-third birthday, when a night at C-Street, full of folks buying me drinks, resulted in an episode of me passing out at the club. After the bar was closed, Corey and Ryan (another employee) took me between them and helped me to Ryan's car, so I could be taken to elsewhere. We went, as I requested, to my mother's house, wherein I remained in a stupor for most of the next day.

Corey could also be a tad grating at times. The aforementioned drunk incident, for which I was very appreciate to him and Ryan for getting me to safety, was later overshadowed by Corey's insistence, for the next several months, of bringing-up the episode at inopportune times. "I remember that night you got drunk," he would say. "We asked you where you wanted to go, and you said, 'Take me to my mommy's.'" Now, for the record, I did not say "mommy." I never do that. But, the point had been made. I would never live it down.

There was the time when, after finishing a night's DJ set at C-Street, Corey entered the DJ booth and mentioned how much he liked Diana King's version of the Say a Little Prayer song. I had played it earlier in the evening, and he asked if he could "borrow" the CD of it. Sure, I said, hesitantly. Dear reader, I never saw that CD again.

I did see Corey again, here and there, around town over the years. The most recent time was, coincidentally, just a few days before he died. I was driving down Neil St. in north Champaign, and he was walking on the sidewalk. I slowed down for a moment, thought of asking him if he needed a lift, but then thought it might be awkward, and drove on. The next week, he was dead of cardiac arrest at 44.

Say a little prayer for him, if you would.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't