Skip to main content

An Open Letter to my Dad


Dear Dad,

Today would have been your 69th birthday.

I've thought about how to acknowledge your birthday anniversary. Taking a page from Chaz Ebert, who wrote a letter to her deceased husband Roger about the most recent Academy Awards, I thought I'd write a letter to you. Granted, it's a bit odd, but then that's not always a bad thing.

So, it's coming up on seventeen years since you died from cancer. I've often wondered what the intervening period of time would have been like had you lived. Unfortunately, we didn't have the closest father-son relationship in the world, so if that had continued, perhaps life wouldn't have been all that different. I tend to hope, of course -- in that fantasy world that only the dead can inhabit in the minds of the living -- that we would have grown closer, healed any rifts between us, and enjoyed a stronger relationship.

Your children -- including Dillon, who hadn't yet turned 3 when you died -- are all grown now. You have grandchildren. You are no doubt missed, in some capacity or other, by all of them. Whenever there's a Gladney family get-together, I feel your absence. There's a similar look among the Gladney men. When I look at my uncles, it's like you're kind of there, but not really.

Lives have changed and people have matured in the nearly two decades since you've been gone. I wonder what you'd think of things? Would you approve of our current president? How about the economy? Gay rights? I remember one time, staying at your apartment after the divorce, and watching a show with an obviously gay character. You asked me, "Is he a faggot?" and, when I replied in the affirmative, you got up and left the room.

I'd like to think that you'd be proud of me, but perhaps that's a wishful thought? I remember you giving me a talk when you were dying. It was an awkward conversation. You meant well, but things didn't always come out right. One of the points I remember is when you said, "Be a leader, not a follower." That's stuck with me, in part because I've been trying, for over seventeen years, to figure out exactly how to implement it into my life.

Since you've been gone, I've been an elected official. I put myself out there, talked with people, and enough of them supported me to put me in office. More than once. I've tried to do my best serving them. I've volunteered, and have worked on various community boards. Is this what you meant by being a leader? I hope so. I hope you'd be proud. I've also been in a relationship for nearly fourteen years. Granted, it's with another man, but I hope you'd somehow be okay with that now.

Seventeen years ago today was your last living birthday. You turned 52. There was a party at your house in Springfield, but it wasn't until a couple of days later. Several people showed up, but I honestly don't remember everyone who was there. The two things that stay in my mind from that day are you sitting on the couch and saying how the cancer had certainly changed your life plans, and when I looked out a window and watched you and Uncle Jim walking slowly together around the backyard.

I couldn't hear your conversation, but then I didn't need to. Just the image was enough. Two brothers, having shared over half-a-century of life, faces solemn, at a slow pace along the green grass, just talking. Those words are as unknown to me as the life you might-have-had since late August of 1997. And that's okay. We all have to go sometime. But, today, on your birthday anniversary, there's a part of me that still wishes you could have made it to 69.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Could Read My Mind

Dance clubs are a funny thing. They contain within their walls a life force and vibrancy sometimes unmatched anywhere else. When dusk settles and the lights come on, people will flood the dance floors to gyrate to music with hypnotic beats and songs about love, lust and fun at the disco. At gay bars, this sort of scenario usually increases ten-fold. It isn't for everyone, but for many it is a respite from the harsh realities of the real word. It is a place that isn't just a structure, but a sanctuary where folks -- minorities in their own communities -- can take shelter and unwind with abandon, at least for a few nighttime hours.
As someone who benefited greatly from such an aforementioned gay dance club, you can imagine my dismay at news of the closing of Chester Street Bar. In business for over three decades, gay-owned and operated, there was a time when C-Street (as it was known by most) was the only haven for those in the LGBT community, near and far, to enjoy themselves …

Third Death

My father has had three funerals. The third (though perhaps not final) one, was last night.
In reality, Lewis died in 1997. Cancer. Aged 52. He had a real funeral. I was there. The next two funerals occurred only in my dreams, yet they seemed real at the time, and their impact during the waking hours was keenly felt.
You see, during the intervening nineteen years, Lewis has come back to life in my dreams, many times. It is more than simply having a dream about him. During these nighttime images, it is noted that Lewis shouldn't be there, that he died of cancer and is resting six feet under. How, then, could he be alive and, seemingly, healthy?

Thoughts on an Election

Before I get started on the ruminations of the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election, I'll begin by saying I really have no clue as to who our next president will be. I've always fretted over the outcome of elections, regardless of the polls, and this year is no different. Especially this year. A good case can be made as to why Hillary Clinton will become our 45th president. All one has to do is look at the polls. Clinton has a comfortable lead in many states, enough to make one think that she will win handily on November 8th.
Of course, polls can be wrong. 538 gives Clinton's changes of winning in the low-mid 80 percent range. Several polls would seem to agree. Many Republicans are jumping ship from Trump. The race looks over. But of course, humanity isn't as easily predictable as polling would have us believe. Things happen. People can surprise us. And, for better or worse, I think that Donald Trump may very well become our next president.