Skip to main content

That Was the Month That Was


Well, readers, it's been an interesting 30 days. They say that April can be the cruelest month. While this April wasn't necessarily cruel, it was definitely full of a varied amount occurrences, some good, some bad. I thought it fitting to review the month, properly say goodbye to it, and look ahead to May with some optimism.

This April saw me fully transition out of the department I'd worked in at the university for six years, and into a new position that brings with it great opportunity. I'm still on a learning curve, and filled with both excitement and some anxiety, but so far things are going pretty well. It was daunting to make the change, but I'm glad I did.

Not long after April began, film critic Roger Ebert died. He was more than a film critic. He was from my hometown. He maintained an active online presence, even during severe illness in recent years. Literally, one day he was here, the next he was gone. I miss him, and didn't even know him. Attending his film festival two weeks after his death was a somewhat surreal, bittersweet experience. His loss is going to be felt for quite some time.

An old high school alum (though from a different graduating class) had to deal with his son being diagnosed with leukemia. Love's light pierced the sadness this month when the community came together and donated thousands of dollars online to help the family with little Davis's medical treatments and travel expenses. And, thankfully, he is currently in remission.

Here in Champaign-Urbana, this April hit us with meteorological swings with dry days and wet, hot temps and cold. We've even seen some snow. Winter has been reticent to release its grip on us, but as the month bows out we're witness to 80 degree weather, sunshine and people frolicking in shorts and t-shirts. I'll take it.

April couldn't let go without a bit of drama. My beagle, Zena, had a terrible vomiting session two days ago, and was in really bad shape when taken to the vet yesterday. After two days worth of fluids, tests and vet observation, she is back with us at home, and doing ok. Not her old self, but certainly better than she was. We'll need to keep an eye on her, though, in case she relapses.

This past weekend I went to the C2E2 convention in Chicago. It was full of geeks, gamers and nerds. There were artist booths, sellers of wares, food vendors and celebrities signing autographs. I met Peter Davison (the 5th Doctor Who), and bought a few sci-fi DVDs. Before heading to the convention, I was able to have breakfast with my friend of over 25 years, Xian. It was really good to see him again.

In many ways, as April closes, it was a month like any other. It had its ups and downs. But, I dunno... it just seems to be more memorable than most. Here's hoping May provides some semblance of steadiness, maybe with some fun and good times thrown in. Summer's on its way, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...