Skip to main content

Whose Tomes Are These?



I've been thinking recently about e-books. This is mostly because I've been wanting to get a mini-tablet, and have been considering the e-reader tablets (Amazon Kindle Fire, Barnes & Noble Nook HD) along with the more traditional tablets (iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab, etc.). I'm a Barnes & Noble fan, so their newest 7" tablet has been appealing. Yet, I hesitate. And then a tweet this morning, from @IndyStories, really drove the point home. Here it is:
Why are some people still opposed to ebooks? They’re the same people that wouldn’t let women vote, because it would “disturb” things.
Aside from the somewhat hysterical, over-the-top tone of the tweet, I was put off by how it's not sincerely asking a question, but is merely posing a question so it can provide an assumed answer. This finally brought me to a clarity of thought as to why I've resisted e-books for so long (and continue to do so). Allow me to explain.

You see, I've actually downloaded and read some e-books. It took a little bit of getting used to. Not having something physical (aside from the e-reader) was sort of odd. And then there was worrying about how robust (or lackluster) is the company that I'm purchasing books from. What happens if it goes under? The fact that e-books cost less than regular books is, admittedly, a nice plus. But there is one major issue that I haven't yet been able to overcome.

In the past, when you bought a book, it was yours. It went with you wherever you went, lining the bookshelves of your living space, and never needing an electrical charge in order to be picked-up and read. This is my issue with e-books. You still purchase the book. Technically, yes, it's yours. But not really. Because what e-reading represents, more than anything else, is that our books are truly not our own. We need a device to read them. And that device needs a charge from time to time. And now the sellers act as gatekeepers.

If I were to walk into a Barnes & Noble, or a Books-a-Million, or any other brick & mortar store, I'd look around, buy a book or two, and bam -- those books would be mine. Heck, it'd be the same if I went online to Amazon and purchased a physical book there and received it a few days later. Once the transaction has finished, all ties with the bookseller have ended. That is at it should be. But not with e-books. With e-books, places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble are basically selling me a book, but then also holding onto it for me. If I ever want to read the book, I have to go through their proprietary service.

So it is, dear reader, that I can't quite embrace the brave new world of e-reading. Not yet, anyway. Call me old school, but when I purchase something, it's mine. That's supposed to be the whole point of purchasing, correct (as opposed to renting, or having a library loan you something)? I don't like 'purchasing' something, then having that purchase be at the mercy of the folks who sold it to me. To be honest, it's puzzling why more people aren't concerned by this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Could Read My Mind

Dance clubs are a funny thing. They contain within their walls a life force and vibrancy sometimes unmatched anywhere else. When dusk settles and the lights come on, people will flood the dance floors to gyrate to music with hypnotic beats and songs about love, lust and fun at the disco. At gay bars, this sort of scenario usually increases ten-fold. It isn't for everyone, but for many it is a respite from the harsh realities of the real word. It is a place that isn't just a structure, but a sanctuary where folks -- minorities in their own communities -- can take shelter and unwind with abandon, at least for a few nighttime hours.
As someone who benefited greatly from such an aforementioned gay dance club, you can imagine my dismay at news of the closing of Chester Street Bar. In business for over three decades, gay-owned and operated, there was a time when C-Street (as it was known by most) was the only haven for those in the LGBT community, near and far, to enjoy themselves …

Third Death

My father has had three funerals. The third (though perhaps not final) one, was last night.
In reality, Lewis died in 1997. Cancer. Aged 52. He had a real funeral. I was there. The next two funerals occurred only in my dreams, yet they seemed real at the time, and their impact during the waking hours was keenly felt.
You see, during the intervening nineteen years, Lewis has come back to life in my dreams, many times. It is more than simply having a dream about him. During these nighttime images, it is noted that Lewis shouldn't be there, that he died of cancer and is resting six feet under. How, then, could he be alive and, seemingly, healthy?

Thoughts on an Election

Before I get started on the ruminations of the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election, I'll begin by saying I really have no clue as to who our next president will be. I've always fretted over the outcome of elections, regardless of the polls, and this year is no different. Especially this year. A good case can be made as to why Hillary Clinton will become our 45th president. All one has to do is look at the polls. Clinton has a comfortable lead in many states, enough to make one think that she will win handily on November 8th.
Of course, polls can be wrong. 538 gives Clinton's changes of winning in the low-mid 80 percent range. Several polls would seem to agree. Many Republicans are jumping ship from Trump. The race looks over. But of course, humanity isn't as easily predictable as polling would have us believe. Things happen. People can surprise us. And, for better or worse, I think that Donald Trump may very well become our next president.