Skip to main content

Perceptions



A while back, I blogged about some of my experiences shopping for a car in October of last year. That entry focused mainly on some of the pressure I encountered about 'buying American' rather than buying a foreign car. Now, I'd like to focus on another part of the car-buying experience, namely: perception. This refers to the perceptions people have of auto brands.

Through doing a lot of online research, getting advice from friends & family, and talking with sales people at various dealerships, I heard a lot of conflicting information. Much of it (outside of the reviews) tended to fascinate me because it seemed to rely almost exclusively on perception and anecdotal evidence. Needless to say, that isn't the most reliable sort of opinion.

Did you know, for example, that Toyota, Honda and Nissan produce cars that last forever and rarely have problems? Well, that's what people's perceptions will tell you. But what about the massive recalls in recent years from Toyota? The recently-annouced 53,000 unit recall from Honda's luxury line, Acura? Or the fact that, yes, you will see a great many old Toyotas, etc, on the road today, but that they often look and sound like rust buckets?

My mom purchased a 1991 Nissan Sentra when it was new. It became my teenage driving car, and then my early-adult car and, while it was overall a good vehicle that made it 15 years with 166,000 miles, those last few years of life weren't without a great many (costly) repairs. So many people would tell me, "Those Nissans, they'll last forever." Yes, but at what cost?

It became obvious that the most reliable sources for car information were the professional car critics/reviewers. They test hundreds of vehicles each year, and have their fingers on the pulse of the industry. That's how you'll discover stuff like how far a brand like Hyundai has come, how Hondas have become stagnant and never addressed their noise issue, how the U.S. automakers have really stepped-up their game, and how there really aren't any truly bad automobiles being manufactured anymore.

Perceptions are one thing. Actual knowledge? That's quite another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...