Skip to main content

Introspective Self-Perception



"Are you an introvert, or an extrovert?"

This question is sometimes posed to folks, by those who do not know them very well. At times, it's a question some turn inward, asking it of themselves. I know I do. Is it really important? Do we really need to ascribe labels to an aspect of our personality? Perhaps. Labels help define us. But are they also a hinderance? If we are considered by others (or by ourselves) to be either shy or outgoing, does that in-turn shut down further avenues about us that could be more deeply explored? Is this why we place such self-importance on what kind of person we are in social situations?

I don't know the answer to most of the aforementioned questions. This is why I spend a lot of time thinking about these things. Searching for answers is almost always an interesting pasttime but, admittedly, it can be overdone. When it comes down to it, we are perhaps not the best judges of who we are. We may in fact have to trust others' judgements of such things.

Case in point: I've long considered myself to be an introvert. To my surprise, lots of folks seem to disagree with me. Yet, the self-image remains. Could it be that I once used to be introverted, and have since come out of a shell? Is such a thing possible, or even common? Possibly. I definitely was the shy, quiet kid in school, or at least that's how I felt. Occasionally, if the kids around me were nice enough, I'd do some impressions for them, make them laugh a little. But that was a fairly rare occurrence.

As time has gone by, I've been forced to be outgoing. On several occasions. Much of this began with my places of employment. As a teen, and later someone who didn't complete college, I took the sorts of jobs that most folks in such a position fall into: customer service. Whether it was standing behind a counter taking someone's pizza order, or trying to sell them the latest music, home video, or electronic device, my livelihood depended upon interaction with people. Even now, in my political sphere, I need to knock on doors and connect with people if I want them to know who I am and, hopefully, consider voting for me.

None of the aforementioned social interactions have come easy for me. I felt self-conscious wearing the pizza-place uniform and taking people's orders. I was nervous when trying to sell folks electronic items (especially with the warranty upsells), and I tend to feel like I'm intruding on a person's day when I knock on their door. Yet, necessity requires doing those things, and so they get done. Same with casual social experiences, such as parties, or dinner with friends. I'm sometimes at a loss as to what to converse about, but I find something, lest we sit in silence for a prolonged period of time.

So, am I an extrovert? Or am I an introvert who simply pushes himself? It has always occurred to me that I am an introvert, because a true extrovert would have no reservations in doing all of the things I've previously mentioned. They wouldn't give it much thought. In fact, they'd probably thrive on it. Or do I have it all wrong? Do we all, somewhere deep down or close to the surface, have a fear of social interaction to some extent, and the difference is in how well we do or don't deal with it?

I wish I knew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't