Skip to main content

Dial M-a-t-t for Depression


So, I've been feeling a bit down of late. This feeling of moroseness has been occurring on-and-off over the past few weeks, but really came on strong a couple of days ago. Sleep patterns probably had something to do with it. I was better the next day. But then I was worse again this morning. Perhaps it is seasonal? Who knows? All I do know is, I've been dealing with this crappy thing called depression for a long time, and wish I could break free.

For the longest time, I resisted the notion that depression could actually exist within me. The concept was... unacceptable? To this day, I still am not 100% sure why that was the case. The resistance to acceptance was rather nebulous in its reasoning. Perhaps it is the idea that one is not completely in control of oneself? It is true that depressive symptons can often come on out of nowhere. And, even if they are triggered by something, it's obvious that the feelings of gloom that follow are often far out of proportion with the situation at-hand.

Once I accepted that I have depression, that was a first step. I've been on a generic for Prozac for almost two years now. It helps, I guess. Things were getting bad before starting the drug. I would get nervous about something, until it almost paralyzed me with anxiety. That had to stop. And it has, definitely. And the depressive moods don't come nearly as often as they used to, yet, here we are. Autumn is upon us, and I'm in a funk.

It makes no sense, really. And I suppose that's one of the more frustrating aspects of depression. For the reality is that I have a wonderful life. There is so much to be cherished about it, both emotionally and materialistically. I am truly fortunate. I know this. I am acutely aware of it. Yet, somehow, this depression creeps in, insidiously, until all I can think of is how nobody loves me, life is boring and bland, and I wouldn't be missed if I were gone. It is a constant struggle during times like this to dismiss those ideas as false.

Today, the struggle continues.

Comments

  1. For starters, let me say I would miss you! Second, I love your openness and honesty about this topic. Many people suffer from depression but for some reason we're hesitant to talk about it, let alone seek treatment. So I commend you. While the cause of this bout of depression may be elusive, I have no doubt that it will pass. Honestly, I think this time of year sends many of us into a funk. Shorter days and less sunshine definitely make me feel that way on same days! Anyway, I've typed all of this to say, this too shall pass and until it does I'm totally here to support you (might even make a bad joke or two when I remember the punchline!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really resonates with me. Especially the part about having a wonderful life and still getting down. AND not knowing why. Hope things improve for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KT: Thank you for your kind words and sympathy. It's good to know you're here for support (jokes, or no!)

    Momo: Commiserations, all round, eh? Hope you don't experience this too much. And thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Cool Breeze

Like so many others, I first met Jean Breeze when I was five years old. She would've been thirty-six at the time. Nearly forty-two years later, our time shared on this earth has come to an end. Jean was a kindergarten teacher at Westview Elementary School in Champaign, Illinois. Her classroom -- at least when I was there -- was at the north end of the school, facing John St. It had a row of windows that let in the sunshine, and it was filled with educational materials, toys and various knick-knacks accumulated over the years. We would take naps there every day. Ms. Breeze would read to us daily. It was a fun place to be. I remember my year there fondly.

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...