Skip to main content

The Mind Has Mountains


Well over twenty years ago, I made a mistake. It wasn't my first, and it certainly wasn't my last. This one, like so many others, was well-intentioned. It also resides completely within my own heart and mind. It is something which has been part of my psyche since the late-nineties, but today it envelopes my thoughts to a fairly large degree.

Allow me to explain.

My dad died twenty-six years ago today. He knew he was sick for almost the last year of his life. During that time, I would visit with him, in an attempt to finally connect with him on a deeper level. It didn't really happen, and there was a lot of anger and resentment on my part about it for a long time, but now I'm glad to have at least made the effort.

The mistake? On one occasion, while at my grandma Callie's house on a Saturday, there with my dad, his wife, Denice, and their son, Dillon, I decided to make a concerted effort to emblazon upon my brain  a particular moment in time. I knew that Lewis likely wouldn't survive the year, and that I would, for the first time in my existence, be in a world where my dad was no longer living.

So I took it upon myself to make a point to remember him, to take special note that, in that moment, he was there, and that the moment wouldn't come again. I was sitting on grandma's living room floor. Dad was laying on the couch. Dillon, then two-years-old, was busy pulling Lewis's socks off his feet. Dillon  was giggling with delight about it. Dad smiled, faintly, while watching him. I began to consciously take-in the moment.

I studied Lewis's bare feet once the socks were off: the veins, the toes, the shape of his foot. I watched his face, took note of his every twitch, movement, and facial expression. I looked at his hair, his eyes, his ears. It was imperative that I recognized that Lewis was living then, because I knew, sooner rather than later, he wouldn't be, and it was important to appreciate that reality.

Now, years later, it's obvious that was all a mistake, though perhaps that isn't the right word? Misguided, maybe? I dunno. What's obvious now is that the moment, like pretty much every other moment in my life, is now just another memory. I knew Lewis for twenty-one years. He's now been gone for twenty-six years. All he is, is a memory. That's all any of us will be at some point. Like the old Scottish proverb goes, "... you're a long time dead."

What fully makes me realize how naive I was back then is that it isn't even a memory that I recall very often. Indeed, it only weighs heavily with me today because of it being dad's death anniversary. It is simply one of a myriad of echoes that are collected in my consciousness. The memories that most frequently come to mind about dad are of the bicycle rides he and I used to take together on warm summer evenings; of watching TV with him and my mom in our living room at the Draper St. house; of the time he tried to have us do a father/son bonding outing with the Cub Scouts, and I threw a fit about it and we went home; of the occasion when I showed him a drawing I'd done, and he crumpled it up and tossed it aside because I'd had the temerity to place it in front of the TV Guide he was reading; and, of course, the many times he disciplined me and I was scared of him.

Looking at him one Saturday while he was dying of cancer barely registers in the collection of memories my mind has accrued about him.

So, I guess it was a mistake? It was certainly misguided to think it possible to will a moment into importance. It either is or it isn't. Our own psyche will decide that for us. It's something I've learned over the years, that is both a hard life lesson and also a reassuring realization: Our lives are what they are. A lot of what ends up being important to us will become clear as time goes on, and as our minds create new vaults of stored recollections. It is a hubris-induced mistake to think we can determine the priority of what those remembrances will be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't