Skip to main content

Old Habits Die Hard


Before the pandemic, before the dark times, I'd get a cold about once or twice a year. It was pretty normal, hence the term "the common cold." Heck, maybe it was sometimes a case of the flu? Maybe...  though I get the flu shot on annual basis which, granted, isn't foolproof, but does seem to help either stave-off getting it, or at least make the symptoms less severe. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I haven't really had a cold (or the flu) in at least two years, probably longer. No doubt a big reason for this is because I've been fortunate enough to work at a job where 1) most of my work can be done remotely, and 2) my employer has been very cautious, and had us working from home for all but three months since the pandemic got underway in earnest, back in March of 2020. Reduced contact with people has very likely lessened my exposure to viruses, whether it be COVID-19 or the ones that cause the cold or flu.

Not being sick for so long has been nice. It's something I'd like to make a habit of, though others don't seem quite as concerned. A couple of habits (or lack thereof) seem to have survived through the pandemic, much to my astonishment. The first is the lack of hand-washing. It used to be that I'd see men walk out of a stall in a public restroom -- or step away from a urinal -- and walk straight out the door. No washing of hands, nada, nothing. The second bad habit from before the pandemic started that seems not to have budged an inch is people continuing to go out and about in society when they're sick. And I'm not talking about COVID-sick, more like a cold or the flu.

To be clear, I understand that there are some folks who work at jobs that either do not provide benefits, and put a person's job in jeopardy if they take time off, or perhaps the person does have paid sick leave, but is discouraged from using it. Those are awful predicaments to be in. And yet, there are -- and seemingly always have been -- people who can take the time off, but choose not to. I once worked with a group of people who, one day, were talking proudly about how they never take sick days. "I don't call-off work unless I'm dead," one of the co-workers said, beaming, through a whole lot of sniffles.

Several times during the past few months, when I've been at a restaurant and had to use the restroom, I've encountered grown men not washing their hands when finished with their business in the bathroom. Surely, if nothing else about the past two years has sunk in, the mantra of ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS has? Alas, apparently it has not. I've also been in public places where people are obviously sick. One such scenario was at a movie theater. I thought a woman an aisle over was crying, however, at one point, I looked over at her and it became obvious that she had a runny nose and a cough. Why? Why did she choose to be there when she was obviously ill?

The pandemic hasn't turned me into a germaphobe, but it has made me more germ-conscious. I admit to not washing my hands as thoroughly two years ago as I do now. And I've always been frustrated with those who selfishly put themselves out there when they're sick. And the tired retort of, "Don't worry, I'm not contagious," makes me want to scream. Stop it. Just, stop. I know they've lived through the past two years along with the rest of us. If this hasn't changed their habits, then apparently nothing will.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't