Skip to main content

The Top 10 Songs of 2020


We're late - later than we've ever been - in putting out a 'top 10 songs of the year' list.

Of course, that's usage of the royal we. It's me - I'm late. Music has been an important part of my life for nearly four decades. As long as I've had this blog, I've shared what my favorite songs of each year have been. So why am I dragging my feet on doing it now? I dunno, reader. It's been a weird year, hasn't it? Sometimes, not even the music can help.

But, I don't want to lose a tradition, so, here goes... 


10. Stupid Love, by Lady Gaga

Gaga's lackluster Chromatica album produced at least one good song, and it comes in at # 10 for the year. It features a bit of the spark she had back in 2008, and makes for nice walking music.




9. Wonder, by Shawn Mendes

I mostly like this song for its glorious opening, and recurring, chorus, Mendes' vocals are good.




8. Women and Wives, by Paul McCartney

I've really grown to enjoy McCartney's back catalogue in recent years, and his 2020 release, McCartney III, nicely builds upon that. This song has a bit of a dark tinge to it, though I like its message, which is basically that humanity builds upon itself, and to try and set a good example for others.




7. My Only Love, by Moby

Moby usually has that one song off each new album that gives me some mild chills, and, from his latest release, this one's it. My Only Love starts off sparse, sad and lonely, then crescendos and becomes stronger. He's done this song before, but it almost always works.




6. Hey Now (Think I Got a Feeling), by Erasure

I first became aware of Erasure in 1994, when my friend Jeff (RIP) introduced me to some of their albums. Several decades later, Vince Clarke and Andy Bell are still making music together. This particular song... I just think it sounds groovy. I discovered it in October of last year, and fondly remember listening to it in my car while driving around St. Louis on an unseasonably warm and sunny day later that month.




5. Blinding Lights, by The Weeknd

Speaking of driving around and bumping music, this song just screams that to me. It's a shame that 2020 sucked so much, or I may have enjoyed this ditty even more than I did. I love how its sonic landscape sounds both upbeat and melancholy.




4. Lucky Sometimes, by Pokey LaFarge

This is a sweet, wistful song, with a piano foundation flanked by the flinty vocals of Bloomington and St. Louis's own Pokey LaFarge. Nice video, as well, which features Esther Rose. I saw her perform live in October 2019, when she opened for the Cactus Blossoms, in St. Louis.





3. Monkey Business, by Pet Shop Boys

The Pet Shop Boys - my favorite music group of all-time - released a new album in the beginning of 2020, and it was quickly subsumed by a pandemic-stricken world going into lockdown. But, before all that happened, they released this jaunty single, whose accompanying video features one of the cutest guys in a sailor's costumer, ever. When he winks at the camera... I get woozy.




2. Be a Rebel, by New Order

Speaking of Pet Shop Boys, New Order was supposed to tour with them in the autumn of 2020 and, well, that didn't happen. It's been rescheduled for later this year (fingers crossed) but, in the meantime, New Order released this new song, and I quite liked it, particularly the lyrics, "I feel the need for harmony, and I look around, but it's not what I see." That pretty much encapsulates what I observed of the world last year.




1. All I Need, by Jake Bugg

Jake Bugg's first album came out in 2012, and our #1 song of 2020 came out when he was just 26. I mention his age because, for so much of the last several months, this was my # 2 song. This, and Be a Rebel both revolve around the angry and political word we live in today, and I honestly felt too old for Bugg's song to be my # 1. That said, it's the one I find myself listening to most often, so, there it is. Full of a constant drum loop of energy, and Bugg's scratchy vocals, All I Need is my favorite song of 2020.



Thank you for taking the time to read about the music that got me through the last year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday's Restaurants

The local newspaper has a feature from one of Champaign-Urbana's most legendary restaurateur's, John Katsinas, on what his favorite area restaurants were that have now since closed (or will soon be closing).  It's a nice little read, and has made me stop and think about the restaurants that have come and gone that have left an indelible (and edible) impression on me throughout the years. Here we go....

31 Days of Horror Movies: Thir13en Ghosts

While not a scholar or even a purist, I am somewhat of a film snob. Not a big fan of remakes, specifically when the originals don't need updating. It is therefore an unusual position I find myself in, preferring a remake to an original, and by leaps and bounds. Let's take a look at today's feature...

31 Days of Horror Movies: The Woman In Black

Yesterday, we had a lady in white, and today we have.... The Woman In Black Just as Nosferatu was our oldest horror film to be reviewed this month, The Woman In Black is our most recent. Released earlier this year, the film stars Daniel Radcliffe in a more adult role than previously seen in his Harry Potter career. He plays a young lawyer whose wife died in childbirth, so he has been raising their son (mostly) on his own. With money tight, and his job on the line, the young attorney takes an assignment in a remote village, much to his dismay. The small, closed community Radcliffe's character finds himself in is apparently haunted by a woman dressed in all black. When she is seen, a child dies. She is seen quite a lot during the course of the film. The locals get edgy with the attorney, making him feel most unwelcome. And when he is doing his work, sorting through the papers of a deceased elderly woman, he discovers the secret of the woman in black. It doesn't