Skip to main content

King of the Monsters


The first thing you need to know about Gareth Edwards' 2014 version of Godzilla is that it features a fairly small amount of the titular character. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just... unexpected. Another aspect of the film that was unforeseen (at least by me) is that not all of the big names in the cast are in the movie very much. Perhaps the most notable observation of all, however, is that, despite the surprising turns taken with the characters and lack of huge screen time for the main monster, I found the film to be fairly predictable.

Godzilla opens in a flashback to 1999 (has that really been 15 years ago?), and Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) is an engineer living in Japan along with his wife (Juliette Binoche) and young son. Disaster soon strikes the nuclear power plant where Brody works and, well, I'll just say that the timeline skips forward to present day, where son Ford Brody (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) is all grown-up and coming-off 14 months of active duty in the U.S. military. Joe is still haunted by the events of 15 years ago, and son Ford travels to Japan to be with him.

I won't continue on with more plot synopsis. At this point, I will simply say that if you're looking for a big, harrowing summer flick with monsters and humans duking it out, then Godzilla will satisfy you. On that level, it satisfied me. On another level, I felt slightly underwhelmed. It's not that Godzilla is a bad movie -- it isn't. I guess I've just seen this type of thing enough times that it comes across more like a coloring book where you dutifully fill-in the various aspects with the standard crayons.

You've got the requisite family-your-supposed-to-care about (Ford Brody and his wife and kid). Every character in these movies has a family, but we're supposed to only care about the family of the protagonist. Then there's the child-in-peril, this time a native Hawaiian boy who could stand in for Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. He is helped by Ford at one point. And, of course, they even threw in the dog-in-peril for good measure. It's always worth a chuckle to see a dog break its leash and run from disaster. I guess.

I saw Godzilla in 3D IMAX. The sound was great but, in case you weren't aware, putting something in 3D automatically dims the picture a little. Be prepared for this, as much of the film is already dark. Most of the scenes with monsters (the two MUTOS and Godzilla) take place at night, sometimes shrouded in fog, often times during rain. In his review of the 1998 Godzilla movie, the late film critic Roger Ebert notes that much of that film takes place at night and in the rain, likely to better obscure any detrimental elements of the special effects. So it goes in 2014.

Various outlets have likened this new Godzilla movie to 1975's classic Jaws, in which the titular monster doesn't really appear all that much. It worked okay for me, but if you're wanting more Godzilla than, say, Mothra (whom the MUTOs seem based upon), then you'll be disappointed. Overall, though, I felt like the movie delivered what it was supposed to. There were people, cities and dogs in peril, monsters fighting, and stuff got blowed-up real good. That's pretty much what these movies are about.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orby-D

Twenty-four-years ago today, we lost one of the greatest singers of the rock & roll era. While Roy Orbison will be forever known in the pantheon of rock/pop legends, for me he will always be the voice that I melded with during turbulent high school years, and that I love to this day. Roy Orbison wrote and (more importantly) sang about love. Mostly, it was tragic love, not the happy-go-lucky love that so many of his contemporaries sang about. No one could do depressive songs better than Mr. Orbison. This is probably why I identified with his music so much. I mean, we all have had our down times but, during high school, I'd cornered the market.

Watching The Hours

A Twitter friend named Paula has asked for folks to submit ideas for a blog-a-thon about what we think will be the classic films of the future. In other words, what relatively recent movies (namely, from the 21st century), do we think will be considered classics in the decades to come, possibly airing on such venerable stations as Turner Classic Movies ? While a number of films come to mind for such a category, one in particular stood out from the rest, and thus is my entry for Paula's blog-a-thon.

The Year in Music

There are times in your life when you will read or watch something, stop for a moment, and think to yourself: "This is truth. This is gospel, right here." For some, it may have been the first time you read the Bible, the Tanakh, or the Koran. For others, it could have been when you read self-help books such as The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People , or Chicken Soup for the Soul . Still, for others, it's going to be this blog post right here. The truth is, dear reader, that 1993 was the best year for music. Full-stop. Some of you already know this. For others, it will be a revelation. Please, allow me to explain. Following are some of the albums released in 1993, with a bit of commentary from yours truly. During or after reading this, I think you'll agree that there's really no question anymore that 1993 was king. Ok, here we go.